Airship Update - September 2019
Welcome to the Airship Community Update, a digest of the latest developments and activities across Airship projects, events, and users! One goal of the Airship Technical Committee is to help build community, and so we hope by keeping you informed of project milestones and news, we will make it easier for you to get involved when the time is right. If you wish to be removed from this distribution, please just respond as such.
SPOTLIGHT ON ....
- Welcome to Dell Technologies, who has joined the Airship community and is starting development and other contributions to Airship 2.0. The Dell Press Release.
Congratulations to the newly elected Airship Working Committee:
- Drew Walters
- Kaspars Skels
- Matt McEuen
- Nishant Kumar
The Working Committee helps influence the project strategy, arbitrate when there is a disagreement between Core Reviewers within a single project or between Airship projects, define the project core principles, and perform marketing and communications. The committee also helps provide product management and ecosystem support.
- Cheers to the Airship community for initiating the work and making tremendous progress in the 1st Airship Sprint, 201908-Bootstrapping. The community made great progress on the bootstrap plugin which generates a custom ISO file targeting a bootstrap host. It also remotely configures ephemeral bootstrap host using Redfish so that it can bootstrap with the custom ISO image. The next Sprint is 201909-Cluster-Deployment to deploy a target cluster with initial control plane servers and manage the lifecycle of cluster.
THE AIRSHIP BLOG
The Airship blog is a great way to keep up with what's going on in the community. The Airship community publishes blog posts regularly, including the recent Airship 2.0 Blog series. These blogs introduce the changes from Airship 1.0 to Airship 2.0, highlight new features, and detail the evolution of each component. The first three Airship 2.0 Blog posts are already available:
- Airship Blog Series 1 - Evolution Towards 2.0
- Airship Blog Series 2 - An Educated Evolution
- Airship Blog Series 3 - Airship 2.0 Architecture High Level
AIRSHIP PROJECT STATUS
If you're looking for more detailed information on the status of specific components or features, you can now check the initial report of Airship Project Status Report. For changes, we use the Airship Jira as our single source of truth, and the Airship Project Status Report will be updated automatically when Jira is updated.
These are initial reports, and the community is working on more. Let us know what reports you'd find helpful! Your involvement and contribution helps the Airship community go further.
Want to get involved? This page lists everything you need to know.
Get involved and start contributing!
- FierceTelecom take on Dell joining the Airship community
- AT&T explains its cloud strategy, and how Airship is the foundation of its Network Cloud
Do you have news to report? Send it to email@example.com.
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE TO THIS NEWSLETTER
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to opt in, opt out, or change the point of contact for your organization.
If you have any news related to Airship, for example, if your organization has started to use it or contribute to it, please share that with email@example.com as well.
We want to hear from you!
Ryan van Wyk, on behalf of the Airship Technical Committee